11 March, 2013

Manic Pixie Monday: Kate Nash

When "Foundations" first released, I was a fresh faced freshman, braces free for the first time since I started my monthly present.  This was before I dyed my hair an Angela Chase crimson, before my first boyfriend, my first break up, gosh before Facebook!  My favorite activities consisted of Buffy reruns and reading Francesca Lia Block novels.  And right along side my descent into puberty was Kate Nash.


Kate Nash tapped into my inner most desires to own a wardrobe full of dresses that matched my tights and date idiot guys I could later write sassy blog posts and non fiction pieces for class about.
She made me realize I could be cute and strong and be compromised by neither.  I could talk about how much I hated my partner while simultaneously missing them.


Her songs were the anthems for the undergirl who would rather spend her time reading a book than going to parties, who dreamed about kissing but had much more fun hanging out by themselves and singings songs about kissing. She even recreated the entire Buffy episode "Once More with Feeling" in a live concert.  Obviously, we are Buffy soul mates.  She openly talks about feminism and this influence can easily be heard in her songs emphasizing sapphic friendships and misandry. What I would give to be a part of Kate Nash's girl gang (seriously Kate, say the word and I will do it).


Even after all these years, three albums, a new look, a new sound, Kate Nash still fascinates me. No longer that same fresh faced girl from high school, her heart felt lyrics mixed in with a pinch of humor and sassy wit still get me every time.  Her new album "Girl Talk" just released in the states and you can bet I will be saving up in hopes of seeing this Manic Pixie Queen live.