12 March, 2013

Totally Tubular Tuesday: Jennifer Lawrence in The Bill Engvall Show


Welcome to Totally Tubular Tuesdays!!! The day I gush about all things TV because if there's one thing I'm good it's procrastinating.



Spending my formative years in a small town in North Carolina before getting my ass hauled all the way back to the Sunshine State meant I was no stranger to the trailer house favorite, Blue Collar TV (and I can say that because my best friend lives in a trailer and it's AWESOME).  Bill Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy were household names and my friends and I spent many a night (yes, sometimes in said trailer) making up slogans for "You Might Be a Redneck".

Though it only lasted two seasons, these thickly accented comedians stole my pseudo small town girl heart.  This love for redneck jokes and blue collar blues led me to a small gem called The Bill Engvall Show, which led to an even more precious gem, Jennifer Lawrence.

The opening credits are a pair of jeans for goodness sake, this is country comedy gold!!!

That's right!! Our Oscar winning Jenny was part of the Blue Collar family, and I was mesmerized by her blonde curls and sharp humor before you hipsters can summarize the plot of Winter's Bone.  Talk about a star in the making, in some scenes she even outshines Bill, and his name is in the gosh darn title!

Can you imagine a time when Jennifer's character's biggest worry was finding a date to the semi-formal and not trying to survive getting killed by 23 other tributes or searching the Appalachian wilderness for her meth-junkie father?

Personally, I think Jennifer Lawrence was made for comedy (just check out any interview she's ever had... ever)  and I would love to see her make a return to the genre that first put her on the spotlight.  But then again, I"m graduating with a B.A. in Creative Writing and she already has an Oscar, so one of us is doing something  right (and it isn't the one writing in a hilariously titled blog).  You go Jennifer Lawrence, keep making us Blue Collar  fans proud!!!