04 March, 2013

Manic Pixie Monday: Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go!

I don't know about ya'll but I love my job.

While most wouldnt consider working the front desk as glamorous, once you've worked for the graveyard shift at Denny's like I have,  I feel like a princess wearing my business casual garb in an office that's not run by middle aged dudes that still shop at Hot Topic.  It's also nice to work at a place where the worse that could happen is a paper cut and not accidentally cutting off your hand while restocking the salad bar.

I like to think of my receptionist job as the perfect manic pixie queer girl job.  What other position would pay me to check my pinterest and Autostraddle (this part is usually without them knowing)  while simultaneously wearing a cute outfit with a  nametag that matches my bright red lipstic?  Let the selfies begin!
If Peggy Olson and Zooey Deschanel had a baby, it would probably be a lot cuter and more ambitious than me, but I can sure as heck try!

The only downside (well more like a wayside-side)  is having to wake up before most freshman have classes.  Since I have yet to accept coffee into my life, my ability to stay awake has been due to sheer will and any makeshift snack I happen to grab before leaving the house, which strangely enough is ususally chocolate chip Eggo waffles.  A bottle of syrup has become a permanent backpack staple.  But in those mornings when not even premade waffles can keep me awake, I take advantage of the hour before everyone else shows up to turn the office into my own radio station.

These are some of the songs wake me up before I go-go!


Dolly Parton: 9-5


Dolly has always been a hero of mine and what better song to listen to than one made especially for the working girl!  Those who haven't seen the movie should drop whatever their doing and watch the marvel that is Dolly, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda being bad ass misandrists. 
I'm not quite sure what/where this performance is, but it definitely relates to my inner Disney Princess.

 
Marina and the Diamonds: Oh No!

 
Listening to Marina's music sometimes makes me feel like I"m in a jazzercise video, with neon lycra jumsuit and all, and this song is no different.  Only instead of exercise,  I'm at my desk wearing a headband frantically typing with one hand and holding a dumbbell in the other.  This look says: Get toWork!
 
 
Billy Joel: The Longest Time
 

 
Okay so, I said I was making a playlist of songs I like to hear in the morning, I didn't say that it would make sense.  I"m not sure why, but this song reminds me of when my parents would drop me off at elementary school and we would listen to Sunny radiostation. Oh youth: back when I was carefree and could wake up at 6 am without so much as a yawn before strapping on my Mulan backpack (Gay Girl Alert!). 
 
 
Heart: These Dreams
 

 
And the list just gets weirder and weirder.  Let me start off by saying I love Heart, the good and the bad.  And frankly, I don't know how I got into listening to this song but it gets the job done, even if the music video has gives me nightmares (I'm sorry did anyone else notice the vagina at he beginning of this video?)